Thursday, May 21, 2009

NCLEX: the test from Hell

*note: my last two posts refer to gods and hell... which is not a reference to the movie "Angels and Demons" which I have no desire to see.

I did it. I took the mother flyin test. and it humbled me so strongly, I believe I collapsed on myself and am now a black hole of self-doubt. Of course, that means I passed (final results still pending - I repeat, no confirmation of a pass yet!!!!). Confusing? Let me explain how the test works.

You start with a question that is at passing level. If you answer it right, the next question is harder. If you're wrong, the next question is easier. Kind of like Goosebumps (remember those books?!). Then, when you exhibit a consistent right/wrong answering pattern (get 1 right, get 1 wrong, get 1 right...etc.), then the whole test shuts off. The minimum amount of questions you can get is 75. I got 77. But... I would say that roughly 40% of the questions were on drugs I have never heard of, surgeries I didn't know existed, and disease complications that are so rare, they aren't even mentioned in the small print of the test books... you just have to know that maybe it COULD happen.

lame.

I guess though, hard questions = doing well.

For "doing well", I feel like hell... that rhymes. maybe if I fail this test, i could be a poet instead....

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

sucky. at least it is over with...? (spoken like a woman who didn't have to take the test, and whose life it doesn't effect much.)

Caitlin said...

and I'm SURE you did better than you think.

Maureen said...

what a wierd way to give a test...on such unusual irrelevant information! Keep the faity OPO!